Do you like crocheting with fancy yarn? You know… Popcorn yarn, mohair or fuzzy… Yarns that really meant for knitting but you just have got to try and see what happens if you try to crochet them..? If you are half as crazy as me, you’ve come to the right place.
I got this beautiful popcorn yarn in pink a few months ago and then I fell in love. It gave me so many ideas but more so, it gave me that kick you feel when you discover a fun new texture or color and can’t wait to pick up your hook. Do you know that feeling? That ‘oooh! This is going to be fun’ feeling.
I started with the intention of making a cute little jacket for my youngest but soon, I realised I’d need atleast 10 balls if I am to complete what I had in mind. In the middle of it, my daughters were squabbling over the pink crochet bag. So I had to quickly make a fun little bag for my youngest princess.
A few lessons learnt about popcorn yarn though.
1. Work with a medium sized steel hook.
2. Don’t try to pull the popcorn balls through, you only need to work with the yarn adjoining it.
3. You can only work with sc (single crochet) with it. Any other type of stitch and it will look crazy.
4. There will be a right and wrong side to it!
Over all, my verdict working with popcorn yarn is that, it is fun to crochet with. I can’t wait to get more of it and start on my bigger project but for now, here is the crochet bag.
Popcorn yarn crochet bag
What you need:
• Popcorn yarn
• Hook size 3mm
- sc- single crochet
- ch- chain
1. Chain 110
2. Single crochet in second chain from hook and then each chain to the end.
3. Ch1, single crochet in each stitch.
Continue for desired width of bag. I chose 12rows.
Fold the bag in thirds and crochet two layers together. Crochet the other end.
For the bag strap: braid three long strands (double the size you want) together and crochet the ends into each side of the bag.
Embellish to your desire or not.