Where to Find the Best Toys in Jeddah
This post is about where to find the best toys in Jeddah. Whether you are looking for educational toys, branded toys, fun non battery operated or even board games… whatever it is your looking for, you can find it in these toys stores we mention in this post. Also, we talk about the different types available and what they teach your child.
I love shopping for toys. It has been my favourite pass time from since my newly married days. I am lucky, my husband shares my silliness. We just have to go see what are the latest toys in the market.
Before we had kids, we shopped for our niece and nephews. When we were expecting our first, we had a list of all the toys we would buy for him (sorted by age!!) even before he was born! Yes, we are just that crazy!
Now, after four kids, the craze is still as new. Yes, no doubt we have a lot of clutter and we donate a lot but we still buy. You see, toys are every bit necessary for the healthy development of your child just like books. Children learn by doing and if not toys, then they get into our stuff! Of course, it is also every bit necessary that you play with your children as often as you can.
Different Types of Toys Available in the Market
There are different types of toys available in the market but not all are made equal. Each of these toys will teach your child a different skill or satisfy a different need…. Before you go shopping for toys, understand your child’s need, his age and then understand what the different types of toys available are and what their purpose really is:
(Disclaimer: Please note: some of the toy pictures below are Amazon links.)
- Educational learning toys or instructive toys.
These toys help your child learn literacy and numbers, alphabets, shapes, colours, etc These can be used in a variety of ways to teach different skills too. There are so many of them available now…
2. Puzzles teach problem solving, cognitive skills,fine motor development, hand eye coordination,social skills and self esteem. Find out more about why puzzles are important for your child here.
3. Building blocks help with hand eye coordination, problem solving, imagination and learning and even maths and science and this has been proven by research!
4. Soft toys and cuddlies satisfy the sensory need to feel and touch, plus they are good for imagination and comfort. Children love soft toys and believe it or not, they are the best friends a child can have! They teach them new skills and new ways to play at every stage of development.
5. Interactive toys with light and sound help with learning social skills and help with imagination. They are also known to stimulate other skills but make sure they are age appropriate and not too much noise.
6. Electronic toys that teach how to use technology. In today’s times when technology is all around, it is a bad idea to ban it completely for them. For this reason, toys that look like what we use but are in fact teaching children the necessary learning skills are a good idea. Make sure you teach them the responsible way to use those toys too.
7. Remote Controlled toys are every child’s favourite and for good reasons. Children love to skilfully manoeuvre their little or BIG cars using their remotes. My son was only 2 years old when he got his little Dune Buggy which he had chosen for himself. We were shocked that he could race it even though he was that tiny! RC toys come in all shapes, sizes and types and what FUN!
9. Board games teach life skills, problem solving, strengthen memory, kids learn to understand and follow rules, predict outcomes, etc There are just so many reason why kids should be introduced to board games from a very young age.
11. Balls and sports are of course the best way to get those kids active.
13. Jump castles, swings, slides and other out door toys give your child physical exercise and are good as a sensory outlet (kids need to jump to release their energy!)
14. Dolls and Super Heroes build children’s imagination. They teach children important social and emotional skills. They also help with cognitive skills, learning about the world around them as well as strengthen their self help and fine motor skills.
If you are looking for recommendations as to what the best toys for Eid are this year, read this post here.
Where to Find The Best Toys in Jeddah
So once you have decided what your child needs, here is where you should go to find the best toys in Jeddah!
1. Centerpoint or Babyshop
Isn’t Centerpoint everybody’s favourite place to shop?? Yes. They have almost all types, for all ages, all needs and they have the most trending toys. Since most of us shop at Centerpoint anyway, I think they are the easiest place. The toys at Centerpoint are generally reasonably priced and you can get a fantastic offer when they have sales.
2. Early Learning Center (ELC)
This International brand has everything for your child. They boast of the biggest brands and have almost anything and everything from babies to big kids (up to the age of 7/8yrs), from imagination to out door play and then basic preschool supplies too but… they are expensive and they don’t have stuff for older kids.
This popular U.K. Brand came to Saudi Arabia just two years ago. Although nothing that big as they are elsewhere, what matters is that they are here! After all the excitement, when I first went to see what I can find, it was the original Legos… and then the Drone circuit … the Nerf guns… Some Hamley’s toys… well… They are expensive but some of their stuff is really unique.
They have two branches – one in Mall of Arabia and another in Salam Mall.
4. Toys ‘r’ Us
The old favourite is Toys ‘r’ Us. From new baby needs, baby gear, art and craft material to the best dolls and Hot wheels. They have cycles, scooters and outdoor toys too.
Their main branch is at Andalus Street and King Abdullah intersection but theyhave many branches around town.
Once upon a time, in my childhood, Toyland was what made every child’s dreams in Jeddah. That’s all we had. Now there are small Toyland ‘shops’ here and there. I still find some good puzzles or just something random there but they aren’t as big as the others now.
They have one branch on Madina Road.
If you need, Montessori material and educational games, this is the place to go. Fanateer has the best of the BEST puzzles and STEM education toys that I have seen. Some of their toys are expensive, no doubt, but dare if you find them anywhere else! They also have playground and kindergarten equipment. Visit their site to know more.
They have a main branch on Falasteen street but there are many other branches in almost every mall.
7. Al Aab Al Hussein
I first discovered Al Hussein toys on a trip to Riyadh. I found them to be very reasonably priced and the fact that they had some branded toys at comparatively lesser prices. (Could be copy cats material but…) Also, in Riyadh they are HUGE! They have quite a few branches there. So when I returned from my trip, I went hunting for them online and offline until I got their number and called them up. Sadly, they only have one small branch off Heraa Street here. They are a good bet if your budget is small.
8. The Bab Shareef Toy market
Did you know that there is a wholesale toy market in Jeddah?! Yay, right?! The Bab Shareef Toy and Cycle Market is like the Hindawiyyah for Yarn stores! It is located on the way from Balad going towards the Dates market in Bab Makkah in old Jeddah. From out side you will see a few cycle shops but inside, between those buildings, is located the huge HUGE whole sale market for toys. You can find the best toys in Jeddah here. Or you may not… 🙂
The market is for wholesale but they have many retail shops too. You will find original distributors for many brands there. You can find cycles, scooters, drifters, baby gear like carseats, strollers and prams, high chairs, all kinds of baby stuff actually… then there are the toys. R/C toys in every shape and size come here first. I have found the exact same brands that were available elsewhere in Malls for half the price here. We bought our first MegaBloks set, our Fisher Price Gifts from here… They are cheaper and you can bargain… you can also find party supplies for all kind of themes here.
Word of warning though, parking is a problem as with anywhere in Old Jeddah. There is a big underground paid parking available but during Eid season, it is very rushed. The shops are open between 9am and 9pm with a break in the afternoon from noon till Asr. Fridays are closed.
9. Toy Triangle:
My new favourite place, every since they opened a few years ago. If you like Super Heroes and Disney or Nicklodeon Jr., this is the place! They have everything on those themes. School supplies, Toys, party supplies… they are FUN! Just don’t take the kids… 😉
10. Jarir Bookstore:
Jarir Bookstore, as their name says, ‘… is not just a bookstore’! They have a toy section upstairs that has good toys too. I have found some good educational toys with them.
Apart from these big names to mention, there are many other local toy shops around town. These ten, that I mention above, are my favourite places to get the best toys in Jeddah. Do leave a comment below if you have a favourite that I have not mentioned here.
If you are a Jeddawi -local or expat, subscribe to my newsletter below. We share exclusive content to our newsletter subscribers.